Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fast & Loose & Literalism= Me, Annoyed

Yet again I find myself fascinated/irritated with self-proclaimed "Bible Believing" Christians who seem to play fast and loose at sanitizing, ignoring and even inventing scripture whenever the slightest shadow of hermeneutic dissonance crosses their consciousness.
The ever-dulcet Michelle Duggar just proudly proclaimed on my DVR of "18 Kids and Counting" that Jesus said to "do unto others as you would have them do for you." I can only assume that she was attempting to refer to the commandment to "love your neighbor as yourself," which, although scriptural, is initially found in Hebrew, not Greek scripture. The supposed commandment to "do unto others, etc." was actually a statement made in the Babylonian Talmud attributed to Rabbi Akiva, (often called "Akiva's One Foot Torah") but the trouble doesn't end there, because even Rabbi Akiva didn't say it. The actual statement quoted with such pride and confidence by Mrs. Duggar appears- in that form- nowhere in either Hebrew OR Greek scripture. The original statement of Akiva would most likely be considered offensive and possibly blasphemous by Christians of the Duggar's ilk, as it could be interpreted as calling into question the necessity for complete and utter belief in and/or knowledge of scripture as the means to salvation. Indeed, it pokes fun at those who do become rigid and over-convinced of their own correct path.
It calls to mind the now infamous statement of Joshua Duggar's new father-in-law, describing the reasoning behind the rather spartan wedding celebration: his statement was to the effect of "When the bible talks about 'wine' it actually means 'grape juice.'"
I'm sorry, but that wasn't what it meant. Nope. It just...wasn't. Noah did not get himself into trouble from hitting the grape juice. No group of Romanized Judeans would have stuck around at a wedding to drink grape juice. Holophernes probably wouldn't have slept through having his head sawed off if he'd been tossing back Yehudit's primo...grape juice. I could go on, but I suspect I've made my point.
I will say this- if you feel that it is a violation of your faith to drink wine, okay. 1.8 billion Muslims agree with you 100%. But please, do not make a big production of your belief in scriptural infallibility...just so long as scripture agrees with YOU.
I mean, gee, I personally would feel a lot better if what was actually MEANT when Greek scripture referred to the soldier piercing Jesus' side with a spear was "the roman soldier tickled Jesus' side with a big feather." And, hey, why not? If "saying" and "meaning" are mutually exclusive...why the heck not?
Boy howdy! I can't wait to get started on MY version of what scripture actually "means" as opposed to all those pesky, not-agreeable-to-me things that it "says!"
First up on my list: when it said in Genesis "tree of knowledge," it actually meant "tree of life."
'Scuse me while I go be immortal, k thx bai. Right?

In Summation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaqo2IhH4kw

9 comments:

  1. Actually that *is* found in the Bible:

    Mat 7:12 "In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets. (New American Standard Bible)

    Luk 6:31 "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. (New American Standard Bible)

    Mrs P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed...however, I was referring to the exact "quote" so often quoted...which I have yet to find. There is significant debate regarding the root definition of what is translated as "treat" versus what is translated as "do," the former dealing with archaic Mideast customs of etiquette and hospitality as opposed to the latter which deals with more action-oriented behaviors. You're also referring to the NAS translation, not the KJV, which is the only version accepted by the nondenominationals in question; I tend to go with the NIV, which is also considered a more reliable/literal translation.
    Please understand- my issue is NOT, in ANY WAY, with hermeneutics or free and open interpretation/debate: it's with people who claim to eschew such things (i.e. "King James Only" "Scripture memorization") and then throw out "quotes" which, in fact, aren't.
    And, wow! thanks! LOL!! *blush!* My first comment from someone who I don't personally know, AND who knows their scripture! Thanks, Mrs. P! :D

    p.s. The Mat. 7:12 quote is, i believe, in reference to the earlier Hebrew prophets, which I *think* was one of my issues...but now I have to reread my post, lest I manage to impeach myself... :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps Mrs. Duggar was simply paraphrasing. :)

    And I am a christian, a fundamental, evangelical christian, who thinks the Duggars are awesome! LOL But that does not mean we can't civilly disagree, etc. You're right that many fundamental evangelicals only use the KJV. Our family uses many different versions. We actually believe the NASB to be most accurate. But we use the NIV, NLT, NKJV, and KJV as well as the Living Bible on tape to listen to. LOL

    Love Mrs P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay- It seems we're in agreement, although perhaps coming from slightly different angles; my only concern was that paraphrasing might be construed as quoting by those not familiar with scripture...I think the difference is even more important to emphasize when dealing with literal, scriptural issues. I'm a big fan of paraphrasing, and the whole tradition of Midrash, etc., I think it's an incredible way to make theology come alive...I just get to be a stickler when someone makes the statement "The Bible says..." when what they really mean is "The Bible says something like..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right, I got you now :) I also prefer to say "Jesus said ' blah blah blah, but I'm paraphrasing, you need to look it up to get the exact words" etc.

    Love Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too, for sure; that's one of the major reasons I really like the NIV...the whole red-text thing seemed annoying/cheesy/something to me at first, but I've ended up really finding it helpful. Now that I'm used to it, I think I'd actually probably like a personalized version, with everybody assigned their own color! (I could call it "The Chat Room Bible" LOL! ) then I wouldn't have to constantly be all "Reuben said this, but wait...maybe it was Simeon. Oh, whoops, I meant Benjamin..." which makes me sound like my toddler trying to relate an episode of Sesame Street, LOL!
    - Mamaleh

    ReplyDelete
  7. btw- how did you find my blog? I'm so new, I'm still trying to figure out ways to reach people...
    thanks!
    Mamaleh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I googled Michelle Duggar and clicked on the blog search function at the google search
    page.

    Love Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  9. well...thanks for stopping in! and glad to have you!

    ReplyDelete