Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Headin' On Home...

So, it would appear that my summer is finally, irrevocably- its hour come round at last- slouching off towards California to die. I've certainly milked it (not to mentioned ground, twisted and vigorously choked it) about as hard as humanly possible, but even I must admit that October is just too darned late to be stretching "summer."
I've had a truly glorious, eye-opening time back in my native state, and much of that has been related to the simple knowledge that The Child is (finally!) spending some quality time in "The Old Country," as it were. It's been wonderful to (finally!) be able to introduce The Child, in the actual flesh, to all the folks who know It only via emailed pictures, holiday cards and telephone. Also wonderful, albeit in a very different sense, has been the opportunity to partake of the first- yes, literally, THE FIRST- "girls' night out" since my marriage...which was nearly four years ago at this point. The fact that, purely by chance, the first night out led to a second one...well, that just durn near put me over the moon, as the Hoosier natives say! There was something infinitely precious to me, as a native-Hoosier-turned-lifelong-nomad, in spending an entire evening immersed in such richly-nostalgic activities as Bob & Tom humor (expounding on such topics as James Dean, NASCAR and IndyCar, natch) and beer-und-spaetzle at the Rathskellar; the evening was topped off by an equally-Hoosieresque, though somewhat more surreal, encounter with a bewilderingly polite, well-spoken and honey-voiced homeless chap on a bike. *sigh* It really don't get much better than that, folks!
Wellp, (to use another favorite nugget of Hoosier dialect) I need to run; business calls. And sadly, I'm not alluding to anything fun, filthy and/or risque...I really need to do actual, boring, lame, inane paperwork to keep my adopted home state from fining my business, which has already spent an entire freaking YEAR in the red. Admittedly, I think the state might actually need funds more than I do, at this point, but still...blugh. Nothing makes one feel less successful than paying money to notify various bureaucracies that one has, yet again, lost money...although I'm sure I'm more the rule than the exception these days.
Well, I suppose it could always be worse, right? I could have a big mortgage that...oh, crap.
Still, it could always be worse: I could be here:
(In Summation)

No comments:

Post a Comment